Pet Care & COVID-19
Hey Blue Skies fam,
First, I hope you are well and staying well.
Second, as of this moment, we intend to continue pet care as an essential function during this crazy time. We are following examples set by communities such as KC and Sedgwick County, which allow for the care of pets in other households as well as lawn/sanitization services.
We in the responsible pet care community are extremely concerned by the threat to human health posed by the rapidly evolving coronavirus pandemic, and commend the swift actions taken across the country to safeguard the population. As our community takes defensive steps by directing event cancellations and facility closures in order to create social distances that will help control the spread of disease, we also consider the well-being of the pets and other animals loved by the citizens in our communities.
According to the 2019-2020 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 67% of American households (84.9 million) own at least one pet. 95% of pet owners consider their pets to be part of the family. It is vital that businesses that provide products or services for the care of pets are included among the critical infrastructure that is allowed to remain open throughout the crisis.
Our government is already taking important measures necessary to protect the most vulnerable members of our society, including the elderly and the immunocompromised. We also seek to ensure that our community has the ability to provide appropriate care for the pets and animals that depend on them.
What are just a few examples of why pet care is essential?
1. During this past week, one of our clients was unexpectedly hospitalized due to surgical complications and needed their household pets cared for in their absence.
2. We have clients that are physically unable to fully care for their pets.
3. We also have a number of essential workers – including those working 12+ hour shifts – that need assistance caring for pets in their absence.
Our services largely avoid human interaction and contact, as almost all clients only need pet care assistance in their absence.
We intend to provide pet care in the following situations:
– Clients are on travel or are hospitalized and therefore are unable to care for their pets.
– Clients are home, but are unable to care for or exercise their pets.
– Clients working (especially in a field deemed as “essential” such as grocery, medical, banking, veterinary, pharmacy, manufacturing, childcare, sanitation, law enforcement) – and must report to work.
– Clients that need us to transport pets to the veterinarian.
– Clients that need us to pick up pet supplies.
– No-contact waste sanitation services, i.e. poop scooping.
Thank you for your consideration. If you have recurring services and feel your visits do not fall within “essential” pet care, such as if you are home working and able to do dog walks, please send me a message and we will suspend services for the duration of the stay-at-home order.
We also understand that the medical community may need some extra support in the upcoming weeks and we want to help. For this reason, we want to make sure people know of our services and know we can help with their pets while they are working to care for our community.
*** Through the end of April, we are offering a 10% discount to our beloved medical workers, as well as a $15 credit to your account if you refer a new medical client to us once they book their first appointment. If you are an affected medical worker, please include that in your schedule request. ❤ ***
As a note, our team washes their hands before and after each visit. We also liberally utilize hand sanitizer. We have very low contact with people throughout the day, so our risk of transmission is minimal. If you have any special needs or requests, please let us know.
Our current services include: poop scooping, pet sitting, dog walking, and pet concierge (taking pets to the vet/groomer).
If you do not need our services at this time, the biggest ways you can support Blue Skies – if you choose – is to refer friends/coworkers and to write online reviews on: Facebook and Yelp. You can also purchase gift certificates for yourself or others: https://blueskiespetcare.com/gift-certificates/
Blue Skies Pet Care is my pride and joy; helping my neighbors and employing people who love the simplicity of working with and loving animals every day has been the most rewarding experience of my life.
Thank you for continuing to support this small, local business. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.
With Immense Love and Warm Wags,
- Cooperative Care in Dog Training - September 29, 2022
- Expanded Dog Training - August 30, 2022
- Selecting a Dog Harness - November 2, 2020